Tuesday this week I received a very interesting textile letter from Mare Kelpman. I met Mare the first time (I think) at the ETN conference in Izmir-Turkey in 2005. My memory is not always that good when it comes to where I have met some of my designer/artist friends around the world.
What I do remember is that we met again this year at the Tech Textile Fair in Frankfurt in May. The world of textile is small.
Here you can find a little portfolio of Mare's amazing work.
Mare is a Professor, textile designer and researcher and is head of the Estonoan Art Academy textile design department in Tallin.
This inspires Mare;
Freedom. I grew up by the sea. The sea lay just beyond our garden. That unexplainable feeling of dreams and the freedom of thought produced by being near the sea has carried me throughout my life. To be creative I need freedom. I cannot work in oppressive conditions whether they be conditions of time, space or mind.
Music – I often leave the concert hall not remembering the pieces performed, but many a textile idea the richer.
Architecture, painting, fashion.
On the one hand, I am inspired by a clean, clear aesthetic – "less is more". On the other hand, abundance and luxuriousness – more and more and more.
Love, peace, my inner need to work.
Social awareness – this aspect I mostly apply when I teach.
Students.
I am happy when I see development, wonderful results, the growth of an interesting, talented and hardworking creator.
Folk art – the use of old and forgotten techniques in a new way.
Materials, innovative techniques.
Freedom. I grew up by the sea. The sea lay just beyond our garden. That unexplainable feeling of dreams and the freedom of thought produced by being near the sea has carried me throughout my life. To be creative I need freedom. I cannot work in oppressive conditions whether they be conditions of time, space or mind.
Music – I often leave the concert hall not remembering the pieces performed, but many a textile idea the richer.
Architecture, painting, fashion.
On the one hand, I am inspired by a clean, clear aesthetic – "less is more". On the other hand, abundance and luxuriousness – more and more and more.
Love, peace, my inner need to work.
Social awareness – this aspect I mostly apply when I teach.
Students.
I am happy when I see development, wonderful results, the growth of an interesting, talented and hardworking creator.
Folk art – the use of old and forgotten techniques in a new way.
Materials, innovative techniques.
The letter I have got from Mare is full of treasuries.
Her businesscard is so delicate and I am so much in love with the flower, which stands out so it becomes a little 3-D.
Two pieces of lasercut.
This is part of Mare's collection of 3-D textiles made in 2003.
Detail of the 3-D textiles, woven in wool and felted.
Another 3-D textile in black and white, my favorite colors.Front and back, also woven in wool and felted. This one is so soft.
A beautiful card.
Mare was awarded in 2003 with Textile Artist of the Year from Aasta Tekstiilikunstik.
Origami paper with Mare's pattern on. Pretty.
It makes me want to start folding paper again.
Necklace in lasercut lace. It is so delicate and fragile. I am in love with it and is going to wear it tomorrow for New Years evening.Mare calls it the HULA HULA collection.
Little tag of the HULA HULA collection.
The beautiful letter, all together.
Dear Mare, I want to thank you for this amazing textile letter you send me.
Dear Mare, I want to thank you for this amazing textile letter you send me.
















No comments:
Post a Comment